The road leading down into the village originally took a route through Gatehead.
There was a beerhouse at Gatehead and was possibly located in the building at the top.
Past residents carried out extensive renovations to the property and items were found which indicated that a farmer who had once lived there had brewed ale and sold it to passing travellers.
The 1841 will of Joseph Bamforth of Gatehead includes 2 barrels and 8 chairs. There is a date stone on one of the attached buildings which confirms its presence some 50 years before Meltham Road was turnpiked.